Tuesday 7 August 2012

"A Banquet of Peace" - Thich Nhat Hanh

Recently in our Sangha we had an opportunity to practice walking meditation in the garden, and the facilitator read a piece from Thay's book 'The Long Road Turns to Joy', which invites us to enjoy a banquet of peace, nourishing our body and spirit as we walk. Here's what I wrote afterwards.

A Banquet of Peace.

the pale pastel of lacecap by the back door,
concrete flags warmed by a day of sunshine,
birds that fly away as I enter the courtyard,
and sit chattering in a nearby tree,
the coolness of freshly mown grass,
the vibrancy of summer flowers
a conversation of voices,
distant traffic and
the tinkle of an ice-cream van,
and lots of birds, invisible
to the eye but chirping audibly,
a pale blue sky deckled with white clouds,
and the glimmer of a sliver of new moon,
sounds dampened in the encroaching summer twilight,
a banquet of peace in the garden.

© 7 August 2012

1 comment:

  1. Lovely, I can feel the peace. :) I like to sit in my basket chair in the evening and it's amazing how much you can see and hear from just sitting in one place. I've yet to find peace whilst walking I can enjoy the sensations but find I need stillness to feel peaceful. Love the word 'deckled' whether it's a typo or not! :)

    ReplyDelete